Two months ago, I spent a week or so learning how to build a WordPress site. As a part of my post-mortem, I identified some performance issues and things that I would have done differently. As I’m taking some time to review previous projects, I am taking the time to tackle a big issue of my site so far — performance.
A major part of the lessons I learned after creating my site was how quickly a WordPress (or any) site can become bloated and have bad performance. I’d noticed that my site took a lot longer to load than I’d like, so this weekend, I am carving out some time to tackle the issues with the site so far.
Where to go from here…
Now that I’ve identified the issues, I feel as though I am well on my way to correcting them. Here are some tasks things that I will be doing in hopes of improving performance overall:
1) Reformatting my stylesheets: I have one gigantic stylesheet that is a mess of issues, which was identified in my post mortem. Although I usually code neatly and with a purpose, much of the piece-meal formatting of my style sheets came from me not fully understanding how Bootstrap + WordPress works together.
2) Testing my CSS: I installed CSS Lint to run tests on my CSS code and the first test revealed 3 errors and 143 warnings. I will fix these warnings and errors, but I will also take this time to re-organize my style sheets to make far more sense than it does currently.
I believe this is a really good place to begin. From there I will continue to use Google Page Insights to increase my page speed. I believe there is some serious refactoring to be done on my part, and use the knowledge that I’ve gained over the past few months. Very exciting times, indeed!